Saturday, February 05, 2005

That that is is is is and that that is not is not is not is not

As I sit down to pen this article, I step into deep meditation, I close my eyes , take a deep breath and take a view of the human life from the exterior. Having transcended the limits of the human body I am now in a position to comment on the sheer nothingness of the human race… well ok I didn’t do that! anyhow I decide to write about the first thing that comes to my mind and so continuing with my deep breath and all that I launch myself into a state of rather futile brainstorming and the first thing that came to my mind was… well, nothing! So I decide to write about nothing to see if it could mean anything at all!

So… as is the convention when writing earth-shaking articles of such vital importance, the Webster’s Dictionary refers to nothing as… um.. forget it I am too lazy to look up the definition. Anyways I shall now let you out on a little secret that is bound to send shockwaves in the community of the astrophysicists and related people who strive to find what exists beyond the universe. Well, ladies and gentlemen contrary to popular belief, there does exist something beyond the universe and it is (trumpets, drum roll) nothing.

The next obvious question in the mind of discerning reader would be to ask if we actually have to travel such a helluva distance like the end of the universe to find nothing. I mean, can we not find it at any other earthly spot? After all not all of us could become Arthur Dent! Well finding nothing is tougher than finding Nemo! That’s because you can see nothing, hear nothing, smell nothing, feel nothing or taste nothing when you see, hear, smell, feel or taste nothing. So perception of nothing with the five senses as we know them is totally impossible! But one place where we could find it for sure without travelling a helluva distance is the Webster’s Dictionary. So out goes my laziness and I retrieve the one-place–to-find-nothing-for sure-without-traveling-a-helluva-distance from my bookshelf. And it says nothing is “not anything”. As the above definition is detrimental to the raison d’atre of this article it shall be deemed heretical and condemned with immediate effect.

However a positive outcome of the whole exercise is that it has helped us evolve a cure for my laziness and it is nothing. It is only now that I understand the profound meaning of my mother’s oft repeated pearls of wisdom! She has been telling me all along that nothing could cure my laziness! And it has taken me so long to actually realize it.

So people, that’s the last word. Nothing is the universal cure to laziness(anything that could cure my laziness shall surely cure yours too!) as nothing gets you up on your feet as nothing else could!

This article first appeared in Alchemy, the Chemical Engineering department magazine, last year and later in The Sabre, the Narmad hostel magazine. And just in case, you were not able to punctuate the title... it is supposed to be read as "That that is 'is', is 'is' and that that is not 'is not', is not 'is not'! "

6 Echoes:

Blogger San said...

I love nothing da.Good article.

Nothing else matters

9:12 pm  
Blogger bharath said...

article sagikkala, and it painful to read it all over everywhere :((

9:23 pm  
Blogger Mystic said...

Hi,

Whatz all the fuss about nothing? Anywayz it was pretty nice.I posted something new in my blog..Check it out if you have time

10:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u can see nothin n hear nothing, whats the fuss abt finding it? its rite in front of u...

3:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this article is almost like a guitar solo to say the least.u dont envision the whole thing when u start out ,but u know what shud come after having writen or played(for the axemen) something.so the uninitiated ones actually wait for an entire self explanatory concept to arise bfore they start doing anything which by the way never really happens unless u r giving out some law of nature.now on the other hand 'nothing' is completely self explanatory in the known universe.so this is the way mankind has advanced,starting with 'nothing' in the beginning.iam sure people wud understand all the fuss about 'nothing' now.btw i seem to have written (stolen is more apt)an article myself here,so let me just end by congratulating our dear mr.sappu on a brilliant article out of nothing(may b he just used a litle time,energy and webspace but what the hell).prashanth(bhu).

6:04 am  
Blogger Shakti said...

Something really diff to the mind..
Nice:)

4:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home